What is a Senior Sitter?
An aged company or senior brood hen is a non-medical caregiver that can be there whenever and wherever clients need them whether that be full-time, part-time, 24/7. care can take place in a variety of settings such as aged living house, nursing homes, hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, etc., but most much takes place within a home put. however, aged sitters can alone perform certain tasks that are not medically related or involve physical contact ( such as ADLs ), so their roles are by and large limited to providing basic supervision and company that can besides include light housekeeping and errands depending upon the agreement made with the caregiver .
What Do Senior Sitter and Elderly Companion Services Include?
In general, elder sitters are there to keep seniors company while their family or regular caregivers are aside. They besides can provide company to the elder while they are in the hospital recovering from a operation or incident while love ones go to work or tend to other business .
Some traditional services of senior sitters include :
- Providing company, companionship and friendly conversations with charges.
- Playing games or engaging in mind stimulating activities.
- Taking short outings to the yard or for short walks when possible.
- Offering seniors medication reminders, but not assisting with administration.
- Light exercise guidance within the patient’s limitations and comfort level.
many senior sitters may besides perform housewife and errand duties as a part of their function, but at an extra monetary value. Some of these tasks may include :
- Preparing light meals such as soups, sandwiches or snacks.
- Assisting with light housework and chores such as dusting, laundry and light cleanup.
- Running errands such as short grocery trips, picking up medications, etc.
- Transportation for elderly charges to doctor’s appointments and other outings.
If your loved one will be transported by the caregiver or they will be running errands, considerations must be taken. These issues are regarding who ’ s vehicle will be used, insurance requirements and any extra recompense to be provided to the caregiver for boast, mileage, wear and tear, etc., if using their personal vehicle.
Limitations of Senior Sitter Services
One common misconception is that aged sitters or companions provide the lapp services as traditional medical caregivers certified home health aides. While their roles are very like, senior sitters do not provide aid with activities of casual animation such as brushing tooth, washup, dressing, getting to the gutter, changing disposable garments and so on. Furthermore, if the beneficiary is in a wheelchair, many elder artist’s model services and providers require that the individual be able to get into a vehicle by themselves if department of transportation is to be provided. It ’ s besides important to know that not all senior sitters are likely to be trained or certified unless they work with an agency. Some may have home plate care experience and be licensed to provide extra care, but this will vary depending on whom you or your love one hire.
The Benefits of Senior Sitter Services
The benefits of having a aged sitter keeping a friendly, so far insomniac eye over an aging loved one who needs a morsel of company and aid are huge. A few of these perks include the following .
- Companionship & Engagement—Science has shown that seniors that stay actively engaged with others and keep their mind working can minimize the progression of and reduce the onset of memory related conditions. Seniors with regular companionship seem to become ill less often, suffer less from depression and heal faster from injuries.
- Peace of Mind All Around—Rest easy whether your loved one is in the hospital, rehab or in the room down the hall with an elderly sitter. Your mind will be free to focus on working, taking care of errands or getting some sleep knowing all the while your companion has things covered.
- Faster Recovery and Less Injuries—Without the need to concern themselves with things like meal preparation, driving, or keeping up the house seniors can recover much faster from incidents and surgeries. They are also less likely to suffer from future injuries by allowing their bodies a rest with the respite provided by a senior companion who does homemaker duties. As an added bonus, having a friendly person to talk to who provides emotional support further promotes mental wellness and greater levels of personal happiness.
Paying for a Senior Sitting Service
Most patients and their families find that the majority of state, federal and secret policy coverage policies don ’ thyroxine cover the costs associated with non-medical care including elder sitters or companions for the aged. however, it ’ s advisable to check with any and all options available to the senior such as Medicare, Medicaid, private policy, hanker term care policies, Veteran ’ second services and local charitable organizations. The latter is an excellent option for low income seniors, as many local groups offer companion services at reduce costs or for free for qualifying seniors .
Are There Senior Sitters Near Me?
motivation help finding a aged sitter or company ? Contact one of our senior living representatives today on our aged helpline to learn about senior sitters near you today .